Monday, October 6, 2008

A MESS OF MY BIRTHDAY !!!

Hi Guys, My first post and the very reason for my blog, came from a very embarrassing situation of my life!! And yes, it wasmy Birthday celebration!!

I had got a very nice chocolate cake from my colleagues on 2nd September, 2008. Newly joined to office, or say working for the first time, I barely knew the work culture. In engineering colleges, especially if you are in a hostel, the scene is quite different. There is Birthday cake cut at 12:00 midnight, where all friends hog the cake and the left over cream is on the face. But now, out of college, I don't think there is any birthday bumps or creamed face. Good in one way. It pains a lot. ;). Although the fun was different and incomparable!

My so called Birthday cake was cut in a Conference Room! No howling, no phone calls, no teasing and it was all so peaceful, I gave a fake smile as i cut the cake! Oh God! Never have I celebrated my Birthday like this, in past 4 years. It was like some bunch of serious people who just sang the first line of the song trying hard not to see their laptops as they sang for me. :) . It came as a shock! But I was glad, that it was not my Birthday, that day. Yes it was not my Birthday on 2nd September. It’s on 2nd October.

That’s the twist. Yes, my parents had preponed my birthday by a month in my birth certificate to get me admitted in a school, which asked for students born before 1st October. Just a matter of two days, otherwise I had to wait for another year to get into school. So they decided to change the date. Earlier as I kid, it was like a boon to me, I wore new dress to school on 2nd September and celebrated at home again with another new dress and chocolates on 2nd October. I was very happy then.

But now, I had a big doubt. Could i tell my colleagues, that I have two birthdays? Of course not. It’s a kind of cheating! I can’t do that! And so, I did not! I tried to be as happy as possible as I cut the cake in the conference room in my old dress.

The day just passed by!

Now came the best or say unexpectedly the worst weeks of all. The week of 2008 which had 4 days holiday and my Birthdayday week !! 1st and 2nd October was a holiday and then Friday then the weekend! What a week!!

There are few of my college friends who also joined the company with me after college; of course it was campus placements. There will be some people from college also who got selected. But they were ignorant of the two Birthdays which existed for me! Now guess, what would have been the worst thing??

On 30th September, I was sitting in the cafeteria as usual with all my friends for breakfast. One of my friends was having her breakfast so slowly. I wondered, what's wrong with her? Then I just waited for her to finish eating. Then she again went to get a juice for herself. I was confused. Usually she never has so much food. But today?? I thought that something was really wrong with her. Finally after a long wait her juice also finished. Thank God! Then we headed towards our cubes. One of my friends had her cube on the other wing. But she told that she was getting bored in her cube, so she will be with us for sometime and then go back. Early in the morning and getting bored?? I concluded that she was now at all in her senses today. :). I just gave a smile and we moved towards our cube. As i entered into my lane, I could see something weird, then i saw both my friends coming to my cube only and as i reached the cube, my first reaction was - IT'S NOT MY CUBE !! . Oh My GOD!! They decorated the cube with balloons and crape paper, which was very beautiful, and there was a cake also!! I was happy, but confused. Trying my level best to smile, but could hardly do, as I was much tensed. I had already celebrated my Birthday on 2nd September. If my team comes to know that it was a false birthday, if they feel bad, and moreover that day was also not my birthday. Oh God, I was so confused!! What to do now? My friends just took me to a conference room. We cut the cake, and followed the usual tradition of icing my face. But thankfully no Birthday bumps! But my heart beat could be heard so clearly in the silence of the office. It was so hard for me to control it pulsating so fast. I told my friends, I have already celebrated my Birthday. But who is going to listen to me? They decorated everything themselves, so nicely that I felt bad to tell that also.

But now what? I could do nothing! Now one of my friends went and told one of my team mates the truth of my Birthday, also adding that i am shy to tell this to them because of the celebration that already happened. Oh God! Another round, of getting tensed for the embarrassment, which I am going to face. What the hell was happening? Why the hell was happening? I just wanted the day to get over as soon as possible. Then my manager came to the cube. I, very embarrassingly narrated the actual facts of my dreadful Birthday truth. He just smiled and was sweet enough to help me not think about it. But the bottom line is, it was very very embarrassing.

The day slowly came to an end with one or two more people whom i had to explain the verity of my Birthday, which was fine. I guess i got used to the embarrassment :). But the day got over. And as packed my laptop and headed towards my shuttle, I was thinking what a messed up Birthday it was! I celebrated it twice, even before it was my Birthday! I will never forget it through out my life!!!! :) :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shubha Narayanan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.